Monday, April 14, 2008

Regency Fairfax Cinemas - A Transit Friendly Business



















On Saturday night, my boyfriend Michael and I went to go see the new movie "Shelter" at the Regency Fairfax -- a second run art house cinema at 7907 Beverly Blvd. I spoke with the manager Ben and expressed my admiration for their public transit display see in this pic.

Because Regency Fairfax has no parking, they are active seeking transit-riding customers. In the new Los Angeles, businesses will provide both driving and transit directions to their location. This would be considered normal in any other city. The dying "car culture" assumes that everyone will drive. Fewer people are willing to sit in ever-worsening congestion, and higher gasoline prices leave less discretionary income for fun things like movies. For the price of 1-1/2 gallons of gas, you can go see a film!

I once saw an Audrey Hepburn double feature at this cinema, so I am happy to go back repeatedly to this place. This transit display in the lobby only enhances that loyalty.

So, please patronize the Regency Fairfax. The tickets are $6, the staff is nice and the bathrooms are clean.
P.S. I really enjoyed the movie, "Shelter", but that's for another blog.

Another case in point: My church is near Vermont/Wilshire and has been including its accessibility to the Red and Purple Lines in its directions.

For me, to see any business actively seeking transit riding patrons, and not just seeing transit riders as unwanted low lives or undesirable poor persons and unlikely customers, is a good thing. Besides, with that discretionary income that comes from not paying for $4/gallon gasoline, I might be able to actually patronize their business.

No comments: