Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Bring Back Articulated #4 Buses at Nighttime

About six months ago both Lines 4 and Lines 704, the local and rapid buses on Santa Monica Blvd. respectively, had larger articulated buses. Then the Line 4's were reduced to the old 40 foot buses. Without knowing the ridership figures, perhaps during the day the articulated buses were needed more on another line.

However, this has left an awkward situation late at night after the Rapid 704 bus stops running around 8:00 p.m. I now have to get on late night 40 foot buses from West Los Angeles to West Hollywood that are packed like sardines and are standing room only. The articulated Rapid 704 buses are no longer running.

Many of the people taking the #4 bus late night are getting off work at their restaurant/service sector jobs and they could use a seat, or they are going to nightclubs and other entertainment venues

Here is my question:

Why can't the Rapid 704 run until midnight like the Rapid 720 since there is late night demand? Or why couldn't those same 704 buses turn into local 4's after 8:00 p.m?

Not all transit corridors have the same traditional 9-5 with rush hour patterns.

I've sent a message to Metro asking this question. I'll let you know if I hear anything.


1 comment:

Julia said...

I completely agree and have also written to metro about this. I live near Normandie and SMB and I can't tell you how many times I have been passed by a westbound #4 between 7-9 pm because it is far too full to take on any more passengers. It's ludicrous.